Thursday, October 7, 2010

Week 3: Sights Around Nottingham

      Hello October! I did a little research and found that October is usually the rainiest month here in Nottingham. So far, that seems to be the case. I asked a local when the rainy season begins and he, looking puzzled replied “it’s always the rainy season here.” How silly of me. I know all about that being from Washington. The English do not let the rain keep them from activities and my friend Casee and I were determined to be the same. On a very dreary Friday we ventured out in search of the oldest pub in England, Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem. It was quite the hunt but in the end we found it. Even with my heavy duty raincoat I was still soaked. I had a beer and a selection of “pub nibblers” while I attempted to dry myself. The pub was charming! The main part of the structure is built into a cave. There are a variety of little rooms, each shaped by a crevice in the cave. It is estimated that the pub itself is over 800 years old. Crusaders would break their journey at the inn and pub on the way to Jerusalem.


    Among the many rainy days have been a few beautiful sunny ones. Yesterday I took advantage of the clear skies and toured the campus. At Linfield, touring the campus would take 30 minutes max. I spent twice as long just walking around the lake. The University Park Campus (where I live and have class) has its own - quite large - lake. It looks nice from a distance, but up close one can tour the surrounding grounds which are spectacular. I feel so lucky to have such beautiful scenery just steps from my hall. On sunny days students and visitors can rent boats and row around the lake. There is also a putting course and croquet lawn. Those activities are weather dependent of course, but I’m happy to walk/run around the lake regardless of the weather.



The Trent Building - Can you believe I have class here?!

     Has anyone heard of the Goose Fair? I hadn’t either. It’s a big deal here though. The fair is said to be the largest traveling fair in Europe and has ties to Nottingham for the past 700 years! The Goose Fair is similar to a US county fair with rides, game booths and lots and lots of food. I was disappointed though to not see any giant zucchinis or adorable goats like at my county fair. The fair food was your typical greasy grub with some interesting additions. Mushy peas were a fan favorite. I tried them at the uni and was not a fan. I had chips (fries) with gravy and mayo. Delicious! My American friends and I were craving elephant ears, but sadly there were none to be found. However, we found a tiny booth selling funnel cake! The man making the cakes told us he was the only one in the UK! I raved about the cakes to my Aussie friends and I’m happy to report that they were all in agreement about the deliciousness of the fried treat.
Stef, Corey, Me, Casee, Eliza and Ari. 


Off to London this weekend. I’m sure I’ll have lots to report when I return!
Elisabeth

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! Glad you are having such a great time! Loves!-Amy

    ReplyDelete